As I was in prayer last week I felt the Lord inspire me to write about faith, doubt and unbelief. That same day as I happened to browse WordPress, I saw more than 2 articles on faith and one exactly titled like this one. I thought to myself, Lord there are so many people out there who have already written on this, would this be a good idea or would anyone even be interested in reading this? However after a couple of days I felt a stronger urge and I said Lord I’ll do it. So here’s what the Lord has revealed to me about faith, doubt and unbelief.
Faith: Faith is the ability to believe and trust with all your heart, something that may or may not necessarily be proven, but stands for a truth. There are essentially 2 kinds of faith.
Human faith: Believing in the truth as informed to us by our 5 senses – sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch. Actions post taking a step of human faith has the potential to fail or disappoint.
You can exercise human faith while:
- Sitting for the first time on a chair that you believe will support your weight.
- Driving when the traffic light is green believing no other vehicle will crash into you.
- Expecting one to become a top artist after listening to his/her excellent music skills.
- Expecting delicious food because it smells good.
- Expecting comfort in choosing clothes of a fabric because of how it feels.
Supernatural Faith: To believe in the truth according to God. This truth is independent of our 5 senses. How does one know what is this truth? Jesus said I am the way, the truth and the life [John 14:6]. It is a gift from God given to anyone who is seeking Him with a true heart [Romans 10:17]. Believe in Jesus (the Word) and have God’s supernatural faith. Jesus said in [Mark 11:24 – NIV] “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours”. You need to have God’s faith in order to believe that you have received for what you are praying. Actions post taking a step of supernatural faith never disappoints nor fails. It is the adulteration of supernatural faith with doubt or unbelief that leads to disappointment or failure.
You can exercise supernatural faith while:
- Accepting the forgiveness of your sins.
- Believing God has granted you eternal life.
- Believing for a physical, mental or emotional healing.
- Expecting the restoration of a relationship.
Doubt: Receiving the truth but not believing it either in part or full.
You can exercise doubt while:
- Knowing God heals sickness but not believing that it is His will for you to be healed.
- Knowing God has forgiven your sins but not believing He forgave a terrible sin of yours.
- Knowing God has a good plan for your future but not believing it.
- Knowing God is good, but believing He can be a tyrant.
Unbelief: Not knowing the truth completely or mixing wrong beliefs with the truth. Basically believing in something else (or simply believing “un” or believing something wrong).
You can exercise unbelief while:
- Thinking that God does not exist.
- Refusing to believe in the birth, the death and/or the resurrection of Jesus.
- Believing that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are not in operation today.
- Believing that miracles do not happen.
Faith, doubt and unbelief can co-exist in a person’s life. This is shown by the disciples of Jesus who exercised faith and they were able to cast of demons and heal sicknesses [Luke 9:6], but they also exercised unbelief [Matthew 17:20, Mark 6:6, 16:14] and doubt [Matthew 14:31]. All that you need is a mustard seed size of faith (supernatural faith) to move mountains and uproot trees [Matthew 17:20, Luke 17:6].